Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Rewards Star Readers

Hi! We're learning about reading using the Rewards Reading Program. To tackle words, we break them down into syllables.  One strategy we use is to look for prefixes and suffixes. So far, we've studied 18 prefixes and 35 suffixes. We also look for vowels and vowel combinations. An example would be when there's an "e" at the end of a syllable, the "e" might be silent and the vowel before it might be long. We would mark the long vowel with a macron. We also learned we can try two ways to sound out a vowel. First we try the sound, then we try the name.

Here are a few more interesting things we learned:

  • A "g" can sound like  /j/ when it's followed by e, i, or y-- like gymnasium
  • A "c" can sound like  /s/ and  /k/- like cycle or cat
  • Words can have more than one prefix or suffix-- unintentional has the prefixes un and in, the suffixes tion and al
Check us out later! 
Dawud, Jakwana, Jamal, Marquise, Najmah, Nayir, Siani, Tyreese, Vickie, Zaire

19 comments:

The 4th Grade After-Schoolers said...

Dear Rewards Readers,
We're glad that you're doing well in reading. Keep up the good work. We hope you enjoy what you're doing. You are good learners!

From Asaad, Dwayne, Jabrella, Jordan, Kayla, Messiah, Nayir, Sareena, Siani, Stephfon, Taelor, Tavon, Tyiara, Tyra.

SAREENA said...

HI MS.BECKER. MY SISTER SAID HI. IT IS ME, SAREENA AND NASHIRA. WE MADE HONOR ROLL. WE ARE JUST SO HAPPY AND MY MOM SAID LOOK AT MY
HONOR ROLL GIRLS. I LOVE HONOR ROLL.

SAREENA AND NASHIRA said...

P.S MS.BECKER IT IS SAREENA AND NASHIRA. MY FAMILY SAID HI INCLUDING MY DADDY.

Ms. Becker said...

Well, "Hi" back to YOU Sareena and Nashira-- including your mommy and daddy!

It was great to see you guys today. I am soooo proud of my Honor Roll Girls, too!!! You are wonderful wonderful wonderful!
xxoo,
Ms. Becker

sareena and shasha said...

thank you ms.becker and it was nice too see you to and my cat and my dog sed hi.My Cat and Dog is so funny.



from:sareena,nashira,mom,dad,and grandmom

AMBER said...

HI MS BECKER THIS CLASS IS FUN. I WISH I COULD STAY ALL DAY LONG.I WISH WE NEVER HAVE EARLY DISSMISAL BYE

AMBER said...

GETTING ON YOUR WEBSITE IS FUN

AMBER said...

I WISH I DIDNT HAVE TO LEAVE SO EARLY

timia said...

Hey, Ms.Becker what's up . On Friday did I tell u what happened at my shadow day at PC? Well I need to tell u . I was getting my lunch and this guy came up to me and said, ''How are u doing?' 'I said, " Do I know u?" but it was really my dad coming to say ''I love u.' 'I said u came all the way up here to say''i love u!''

Ms. Becker said...

Timia- that is so cool! It must have been quite a surprise for you to see your dad! Did you have a good time?

Ms. Becker said...

Hi there, Amber! Thanks for all of those nice words! I'm so glad you like being here! I'm glad you're here, too : )

Brittany W said...

Hi Ms.Becker. This is Brittany W. I just want to tell you that I got honor roll! Also, the 5th grade is really really good. My teacher is very nice and my teacher is Ms.Giwa. We had a party at the end of November and it was really really nice. We all loved it and we had a bunch of candy and cupcakes. Yuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Ms. Becker said...

Wow, Brittany! Congratulations of your achieving Honor Roll! That's wonderful! So glad you like 5th grade and your teacher. I think she's great, too.

Keep writing!
xxoo,
Ms. Becker

aaron said...

Hey Ms.Becker- I hope you have a good holiday! I'll see you tomorrow!

Aaron said...

Hey Ms.Becker this is Aaron from room 209. Have a good holiday.

Ms. Becker said...

Aaron- you are tooooooo funny! How many times did you hit "publish your comment?" I'll see you tomorrow for sure, but I don't think one night is a holiday. I'm chuckling right now at how funny you are.
xxoo,
Ms. Becker

PS- I love having you in my group : )

sherrell said...

happy holidays

sherrell said...

HI WATS UP MS. BECKER

Ms. Becker said...

Happy holidays to you, too, Sherrell!